lørdag, desember 08, 2007

Was The First Queen of Denmark a Man?

Some time ago I received an email announcing a lecture about the work of the Russian mathematician A.T. Fomenko. The title of the lecture was “Can the Viking ships be older than the Egyptian pyramids?”, this flew in the face of the normal view of history, which puts theses things very far apart in time, but just think about it: Viking ships and pyramids – that sounds almost as cool as the creationist stories about humans and dinosaurs living at the same time, so I had to check it out.

Before I went to the lecture I found Fomenko's hypothesis summarized in a critique by Jason Colavito, Who Lost the Middle Ages?:

"Apparently to hear Fomenko tell it, in the beginning there were four books of history, which he refers to as A, B, C, and D. Apparently the latter three were imperfect copies of the True History, A. Over time, each became garbled as it was copied, and the four were assumed to be separate histories, not four copies of the same one. Therefore, when late medieval scribes set about writing history, they accidentally made history four times as long by repeating the same history four times."

Boy, I wish that I had known about this theory when I attended school – it could have saved me from 75% of my history lessons!

Link

0 Comments: