onsdag, november 07, 2007

Questioning: An Examination of Christian Belief

I remember my decision to question. I had been defending creation in an online debate. I could see the futility in trying to convince scientists that the world was 6000 years old, or that the fossil record was formed during Noah's flood. Could I even convince myself anymore? My position was becoming unclear. Should I consider switching to old-earth creation? That idea was difficult to accept, but I was finding it even more difficult to believe in a young earth. What was I to do? Along came a newbie, and he announced that he had all the answers. He informed us that the noted Christian apologist, William Dembski, was going to destroy the theory of evolution. Where had this fellow been all of this time? Many of us had struggled for months to destroy evolution, and had left little impression. Was Dembski going to be different? Naturally, I hit the reply button.

The questions came easily. Exactly how was Dembski planning to perform this feat? Was he going to prove the earth was young, or present a believable old-earth viewpoint without using evolution? How and when did new creatures come into existence? I typed rapidly. I reached the end of my post, and sat back to look at what I had written. My mouth fell open. There were the same questions that atheists had been asking me, the questions that had been leaving me speechless. I had written them myself. I paused. Should I send this message? But these questions bothered me. Why not ask? I remember the fear. What would God think when he saw these questions? Would he be angry? The answer was all too obvious. How could God be upset that I wanted answers? So I hit the send button. As far as I could tell, God did not object. So I asked more questions, questions which would lead me on an amazing spiritual journey and change my entire view of religion.

Dear Christian friend, I hope this site helps you understand why I have changed my mind about Christianity. You may have heard the case for the faith, and it may seem right to you, but I will come forward and question it. Proverbs 18:17 says, "The first to plead his case seems right, until another comes and examines him." Perhaps your God would not mind if we do what this verse suggests. Perhaps we could come forward and examine the claims.

Link

0 Comments: