torsdag, januar 11, 2007

Firewalking - Physics or Mysticism?

Back in January 2005, when David and I were at the James Randi Educational Foundation "Amazing Meeting 3" in Las Vegas, the subject of fire walking came up. Being sceptics, we were all agreed that there is nothing supernatural going on here – it's purely physics. Various suggestions for the phenomenon were put forward. Some suggested a thin film of water or sweat on the sole of the foot protects the skin. Others said the ash acts as an insulator. Then we had the "Your foot is not in contact with the coals for long enough to get burnt" brigade.

So I thought the only thing to do was try it. David was foolish enough to agree to go along with it! When we got back to the UK I googled "Fire Walking", and it came up with this site – http://www.sacred-flame-firewalking.co.uk/ It appealed to me not only because not only would I get the chance to do the walk, but I could experience all the New Age trappings involved as well. And there was a lot of that.

Link

0 Comments: